Counterterrorism professional turned career coach, podcaster and forthcoming author. Founder of the Job Offer Academy course to help you land a new job you love.
1. What does thriving mean to you?
Being able to use your career as a vehicle for your own freedom and self-expression. Feeling connected to who you are, what you do and who you surround yourself with.
2. What’s the one domino that moves you toward thriving?
Friends. If it wasn’t for @thejasongoldberg, @therapybynicole, @amandabucci, and @sarahannestewart, I don’t know who I’d be or where I’d be.
3. What was or is your favourite way to sabotage yourself?
I call it snaccidents– aka cupcakes.
4. What gets you back on track?
My friendships. When I’m feeling off, I’m lucky enough to be in a circle of personal development leaders who– in a sentence– can unravel a belief system that isn’t serving me.
5. What question should we ask ourselves?
What do I know that I wish I didn’t know? (Time to face the truth in your life!)
6. What did you learn recently?
That 16 million kids in the United States are in hunger– and don’t know where they’ll get their next meal.
7. Divide your age by half , who were you then?
I was getting my permit, feeling way too cool for school in 10th grade.
8. What was one of your aha/breakthrough moments?
Realizing that burn out is real and that in order for me to keep creating, I need to fully step back. I thought for a long time that meant just working less, I didn’t realize until recently that it means taking real time off, disconnected fully from work, so that I could refill my creativity cup.
9. Whats the one resource you would recommend?
Reading Big Leap by Gay Hendricks, or my instagram for deeper thoughts on personal development (@ashleystahl)!
10. What is your favourite quote?
“Live life as if everything is rigged in your favor” -Rumi
11. What are your top VALUES?
Connection, Freedom, Authenticity, Creativity, Growth
12. What is your focus this year?
My wellness! Overcoming burnout was a real journey for me and I’m more committed to honoring my body as my temple than I’ve ever been before.
13. You write a book for your grandkids, what principles do you want to pass on?
I’m currently writing that book! It’s called You Turn, and it aligns with my podcast, You Turn Podcast, which is all about that moment of self evaluation where you realize something’s not working for you and you commit to seeing the truth of who you are and where you’re at… SO that you can welcome change. The core principle is this: if you think you need clarity on your next steps in life, clarity isn’t actually the problem– being disconnected is. The book is here to share 11 fundamental “You Turns” that help you get back to your true self.
14. Who is one of the people that made an impact on your life?
Jane Mosbacher Morris, founder of ToTheMarket.com, a website designed to economically help empower women in third world countries. When I moved to DC at age 23 jobless, she helped me for no reason other than a kind heart… And made a huge impact.
15. What are you thankful for?
16. If someone grew up in a dysfunctional/chaotic home what advice would you give them going forward?
Your past doesn’t have to mean anything about your future, or even this moment. You can wake up today different than you were tomorrow because your circumstances don’t define you.
17. What is your favourite memory of this year?
My close friend Barry Griffin visited me in LA from the Bahamas after 10 years of friendship, and me begging him to come to town! He’s a political leader and one of the most inspiring people I have ever met. We connected on my first day of grad school in 2009 and he’s been an inspiration to me ever since.
18. Think 3/5 years from now, what is your hell if you don’t take action or self sabotage?
Getting a job and joining the workforce/ leaving my life as an entrepreneur.
19. What do you need to have LESS of in your life?
20. What rule should we be breaking?
Waiting for other people to talk to you. I am all about being the first one to say hi, and I live my life committed to conversation. I’ve found if you wake up everyday excited and committed to having your next conversation, your life can and will change… Be it in business, friendship, or love.
21 . What’s the one thing you want to do before you die?
Become a mother.
22. If i am just starting out to transform my life, what one week practice would you recommend?
Meditation or journaling… Journaling from your soul every morning. Ask your soul what it wants you to know, and see what it tells you. I have many of my own practices, but I love this idea– got it from Danette May.
23. Who would you like to acknowledge by nominating them to be showcased @ THRIVEMASTERS?
24. How can people connect with you?