Christopher Coulson is a Navy Vet and one of the top trainers in NYC. He’s helped hundreds of people change their bodies and lives and he’s not even reached his final form. Most impressively, he can quote the entire Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie (1990), loves Star Wars, and he’s like really ok at video games. Top attributes are Wit and Strength and he’s really really ridiculously good looking.
1. What does thriving mean to you?
Thriving to means being alive, not just existing.
2. What’s the one domino that moves you toward thriving?
Knowing that I have helped change peoples lives, forever.
3. What was or is your favourite way to sabotage yourself?
Explosives mainly but procrastination is also a pretty big one.
4. How do you deal with challenging times?
Challenging times is usually when I operate at my best, so that tends to not be an issue. It’s the times when everything goes well that I have the most problems, complacency is a real thing it’s my biggest enemy.
5. What was an embarrassing/painful moment you can share?
My attempted suicide. After getting through that moment it really brought to light how serious mental health issues are and how they should not be dismissed. Even know there is such a huge stigma around mental health issues that it can be difficult to get the help you need.
6. What did you learn recently?
That leaning on others at times is ok.
7. Divide your age by half , who were you then?
I was a skinny 16 year old (about 80lbs lighter) and didn’t have a clue what I wanted to do with my life.
8. Think back 5-10 years, what moved the needle in your success?
Developing a work ethic. Being in the Navy at the time you either worked your ass off or you didn’t succeed.
9. Whats the one resource you would recommend?
The War of Art – Stephen Pressfield. Read it. Seriously, stop what you’re doing and read it now.
10. What is your favourite quote or motto?
“Call a jack a jack. Call a spade a spade. But always call a whore a lady. Their lives are hard enough, and it never hurts to be polite.” – Name of the Wind or “Bones mend. Regret stays with you forever.” Name of the Wind
11. What are your top VALUES?
Loyalty to your friends and loved ones. Integrity, what you do when others aren’t watching. Perseverance, because things will always get tough.
12. What is your focus over the next 12 months?
Growth as an individual. Creating more situations to get me out of my comfort zone.
13. You write a book for your grandkids / next generation, what principles do you want to pass on?
Never take anything too seriously, and never give up too quickly.
14. You start a podcast, who is your first guest? If you have a podcast who would you love to have on?
Shigeru Miyamoto – Video Game Designer
15. What are you thankful for?
My experience in the Navy. It wasn’t always (read: mostly) fun, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
16. If someone grew up in a dysfunctional home what advice would you give them going forward?
You have a choice. You can either live in the past and let that have ownership over you, or can live in the present and realize that where you come from has little bearing on where you will go.
17. What is your favourite memory of the last 12 months?
My dog 🙂
18. Do you have a favourite joke or a funny moment?
19. What do you need to have LESS of in your life?
20. What rule should we be breaking?
Is there a rule you should be following?
21 . What’s the one thing you want to do before you die?
Go into space
22. What is a step you would recommend one take to improve their life?
Read more Fiction
23. Who is the PERSON you would love to acknowledge by nominating them to be showcased @ THRIVEMASTERS?
24. How can people connect with you?
Instagram @thechriscoulson and chriscoulsonfitness.com