Christopher Gialanella, born in Livingston, New Jersey in 1970, started his successful career by interning for his local Washington D.C. congressman on capital hill after attending University of Wisconsin – Madison. Following interning for the congressman, Chris moved to New York City where he worked for PiMS, a company that distributes marketing materials for PR and advertising firms. He was then transferred in 1994 to work for their Los Angeles office for six years. In 2001, he found his passion in the publishing business while working for titles such as “Angeleno” and “Front Desk.” Through his dedication and hard work, Chris was promoted to take over for Riviera Orange County in 2008 and was given the opportunity to publish its sister magazine, Riviera San Diego, for a brief period. Chris currently the Group Publisher for 8 Brands in Southern California: “Angeleno”, “Los Angeles Confidential”, “Riviera Orange County”, Modern Luxury San Diego”, “Interiors California”, “Weddings California”, “Modern Luxury Beverly Hills”, and “Modern Luxury Palm Springs”. Chris is very proud of his team and the hard work they do to publish an amazing magazine, run fabulous events, and cover some of the most colorful people and places in Southern California.
1. What does thriving mean to you?
Surviving, thriving, pivoting
2. What’s the one domino that moves you toward thriving?
The 7 for good luck!
3. What was or is your favourite way to sabotage yourself?
Not being organized
4. What are the biggest lessons you’ve learned from the coronavirus experience?
To slow down and take life one day at a time.
5. What was an embarrassing / painful moment you can share?
I once sent an email to a colleague about a customer, and accidentally sent it to the customer. I learned to never send an email out if you wouldn’t want 10 people to see it!
6. What did you learn recently?
I learned a lot about politics and history as I have had time to focus on it.
7. Divide your age by half , who were you then?
I was a young kid who just moved to LA. I had the world at my feet! I was naive to the pressures of work and didn’t take things too seriously.
8. Think back 5-10 years, what moved the needle in your success?
My wife has always been a big motivation for me.
9. Is there a book(s) you have read multiple times or a resource you keep going back to?
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger is timeless.
10. What is your favourite quote or motto?
“Innovation is not born of the dream, Innovation is born of the struggle” by Simon Sinkek
11. What are your top VALUES?
love, generosity, and respect for others
12. What is your focus over the next 12 months?
I plan on continuing to help my family grow during these difficult times and be the best dad/husband/son/brother/friend that I can be
13. You write a book for your grandkids / next generation, what principles do you want to pass on?
To treat others that way you would like to be treated. We are all born the same.
14. You start a podcast, who is your first guest? If you have a podcast who would you love to have on?
I have an IG Show called “Hanging in With Chris” – I’d love to have Bill Gates as a guest.
15. What are you thankful for?
16. If someone grew up in a dysfunctional home what advice would you give them going forward?
Be brave, strong, and fight!
17. What is your favourite memory of the last 12 months?
My favorite memory is the time I have with my family during quarantine, from cooking, playing board games, and taking walks
18. Do you have a favourite joke or a funny moment?
Falling down down the stairs and snapping my plantaris muscle at the circus because my son was potty training and had to really go when the motorcycle in the globe show started!
19. What do you need to have LESS of in your life?
20. What rule should we be breaking?
no rules should be broken
21 . What’s the one thing you want to do before you die?
I’d love to skydive!
22. There are 12 step programs for addiction recovery. If you had to come up with a program for THRIVING what would the steps be?
1 – positivity 2 – organization 3 – -perspective 4 – time management 5 – think outside of the box
23. Who is the PERSON you would love to acknowledge by nominating them to be showcased @ THRIVEMASTERS?
24. How can people connect with you?
on instagram at @christophergia