David Meltzer is the co-founder of Sports 1 Marketing, and formerly served as CEO of the renowned Leigh Steinberg Sports & Entertainment agency, which was the inspiration for the movie Jerry Maguire. He is a three-time international best-selling author, a Top 100 Business Coach, the executive producer of Entrepreneur’s #1 digital business show, Elevator Pitch, and host of the top entrepreneur podcast, The Playbook. His newest book, Game-Time Decision Making, was a #1 new release. David has been recognized by Variety Magazine as their Sports Humanitarian of the Year and awarded the Ellis Island Medal of Honor. Please help me welcome David Meltzer!
1. What does thriving mean to you?
Energy that creates more energy.
2. What’s the one domino that moves you toward thriving?
A desire to be of service to others.
3. What was or is your favourite way to sabotage yourself?
Not getting out of ego-based consciousness quickly.
4. How do you deal with challenging times?
By getting back to center.
5. What was an embarrassing/painful moment you can share?
I’m pretty open about the fact that I lost a portfolio worth over $100 million and had to declare bankruptcy.
6. What did you learn recently?
Don’t say sorry when you are late, as this brings the wrong energy to a conversation. Instead, thank the person for their patience or reframe the conversation in a more positive light.
7. Divide your age by half , who were you then?
I thought that I was Midas and that everything I touched would turn to gold. Eventually, I learned that this wasn’t true, and I was forced to take stock of the values that I had lost sight of.
8. Think back 5-10 years, what moved the needle in your success?
Living a life based on strong core values.
9. What’s the one resource you would recommend?
Mentorship. You can find mentors in-person, in books, online, or via your phone. Simply seek out the people who sit in a position that you want to be in one day.
10. What is your favourite quote or motto?
Be kind to your future self.
11. What are your top VALUES?
Gratitude, empathy, accountability and effective communication (also known as inspiration)
12. What is your focus over the next 12 months?
Empowering others to empower others to be happy, with the goal to impact more than 1 billion people.
13. You write a book for your grandkids / next generation, what principles do you want to pass on?
The principles above are in all of my books; Connected to Goodness, Compassionate Capitalism, Be Unstoppable, and Game-Time Decision Making.
14. You start a podcast, who is your first guest? If you have a podcast who would you love to have on?
My podcast is called The Playbook.
15. What are you thankful for?
I’m thankful for everything, because gratitude gives you a positive perspective on the past, present, and future.
16. If someone grew up in a dysfunctional home what advice would you give them going forward?
You can either make yourself a victim or make it into your story.
17. What is your favourite memory of the last 12 months?
Having my family with me as I spoke to the crew and service members who operate Air Force One
18. Do you have a favourite joke or a funny moment?
I love to tell people that my mom, despite being five-foot-nothing, is a third-degree black belt. She’s a black belt in the martial art of Jewish guilt.
19. What do you need to have LESS of in your life?
Ego. I wish there was a surgical procedure for an ego-ectomy.
20. What rule should we be breaking?
Don’t apologize, as it brings negative energy to a conversation. Instead, reframe the issue with a positive comment. If you’re late to a meeting, for example, thank the person for their patience instead of apologizing and making an excuse for being late.
21 . What’s the one thing you want to do before you die?
Watch the Los Angeles Chargers win a Super Bowl with my son.
22. What is an important step one can take to shift from SURVIVING to THRIVING?
Clean your connection to that which inspires you. Motivation can help you in the short term, but inspiration will take you from surviving to thriving.
23. Who is the PERSON you would love to acknowledge by nominating them to be showcased @ THRIVEMASTERS?
Or by texting me at (949) 298-2905