Juan Bendana is a professional speaker, author, and DJ who speaks at high schools, University campuses, & conferences internationally. He has spoken to thousands of students, educators, and parents across Canada & the United States.
He is the founder of The Good Effect – a training and curriculum program that helps students make better decisions while making an Impact on their schools & communities. He has partnered with major organizations such as Sony Pictures and helps brands connect with students. He uses storytelling, humour & music to highlight a message of Action, Leadership, Decision Making, and Impact that resonates with every audience member.
His home is Toronto, Canada, he is a former snowboard instructor, sushi expert, and can recite every word of the lion king.
1. What does thriving mean to you?
Living your version of life and going all in on who you are.
2. What’s the one domino that moves you toward thriving?
3. What was or is your favourite way to sabotage yourself?
Play down my wins
4. What gets you back on track?
5. What was an embarrassing/painful moment you can share?
Bombing my first big speech. 1000 people in the audience and by minute 2, I knew it wasn’t going well. I had to stick it out for the rest of the hour. Painfully embarrassing moment but it taught me to respect the craft.
6. What did you learn recently?
I learnt that small moves, executed with consistency, over a long period of time is the key to building something worth while.
7. Divide your age by half , who were you then?
That would make me around 12. I was an overweight kid, with no direction, looking for a way to fit in. My primary goal was to make EVERYONE happy – which caused me to spend my happiness on everyone except me. That was a BIG reason for why I am the person I am today.
8. Think back 5-10 years, what moved the needle in your success?
Living the things that I was preaching. After years of telling people to ‘face their fears’ & ‘go all in’, I finally built the courage to do it for myself and it changed everything for me.
9. Whats the one resource you would recommend?
A Mastermind group – Get with 3-4 people, meet weekly (digitally), go on trips and hold each other accountable for what you want to create in this lifetime. It has been the single most life changing thing I have done. I am currently in the Miami Airport getting ready for our Q1 Mastermind trip!
10. What is your favourite quote?
Just Do It.
11. What are your top VALUES?
Health, Love, Growth, Courage
12. What is your focus over the next 12 months?
Speaking to as many High School & University Students as humanly possible.
13. You write a book for your great grandkids, what principles do you want to pass on?
Focusing on what you are going to do today. Being Authentic. Taking Action. Generating Energy. Having a BLAST with everything you do.
14. Who is one of the people that made an impact on your life?
My Mom – She is THE #1 reason for any success I have ever had.
15. What are you thankful for?
The relationships in my life.
16. If someone grew up in a dysfunctional/chaotic home what advice would you give them going forward?
That is a gift that needs to be used to help others. By confronting and sharing your hardship, you will give others that are going through that same thing to do the same.
17. What is your favourite memory of the last 12 months?
Cave Diving in Mexico is definitely up there. I had 20 friends from around the world come together for one epic New Years trip so that was pretty epic as well.
18. Do you have a favourite joke or a funny moment?
I spoke at a Leadership Conference yesterday that was at a camp that had a ‘no shoes’ policy. I had to do the entire speech in socks, it was glossy hardwood floors – you do the math.
19. What do you need to have LESS of in your life?
20. What rule should we be breaking?
Convicting someone for one action and giving them that label for life.
21 . What’s the one thing you want to do before you die?
Swim with Great Whites, Get Married, Have Kids, and reach 1 Million Students
22. What is one small step you would recommend one take to improve their life?
Raise the energy. In any area of life that is going WELL for you, I guarantee it is because you invest energy into it. If you want to improve an area of your life – raise your level of energy and you will see instant improvement.
23. Who is the PERSON(S) you would like to acknowledge by nominating them to be showcased @ THRIVEMASTERS?