Kevin Rempel is a 2013 World Champion and 2014 Sochi Paralympic bronze medalist in sledge hockey who has an incredible story of overcoming a tremendous amount of adversity. KevinRempel.com
1. What does thriving mean to you?
Living your life on your terms and helping others while you do it.
2. What’s the one domino that moves you toward thriving?
Accept responsibility for your life first, then everything else can start to happen. You are responsible for your own life. You may not be responsible for what happed to you, but you are responsible for what you do about it. Own up to your life first, then begin by taking things one step at a time. This is how I built my momentum, like a domino effect.
3. What was or is your favourite way to sabotage yourself?
Umm… I don’t like doing that. I don’t think I’ve ever sabotaged myself on purpose, especially in business.
4. What gets you back on track?
When you get off track – go back to the basics. They are the foundation and help you rebuild.
5. What question should we ask ourselves?
“What do I really want out of life?”, and then go do that.
6. What did you learn recently?
I have been pulling my hair out learning better accounting skills these last few weeks. I also learned that had I paid more attention to the numbers sooner, I would have had a lot more money right now. lol… go figure. 🙂
7. Divide your age by half , who were you then?
18 – loving life, reckless teenager, dirt biking, living pay check to pay check, didn’t care about nuthin’.
8. What was one of your aha/breakthrough moments?
When I saw my dad get injured when I was 19 and break his back one year from retirement, his regret was that he “waited until retirement to live his life”. That changed me forever and I know not to wait, because you never know when your time is up.
9. Whats the one resource you would recommend?
Read books. They are insanely phenomenal tools.
One resource? Buy the 5 Minute Journal and start focusing on gratitude.
10. What is your favourite quote?
“Success is not to be measured by the point one has reached in life, but as by the obstacles which one has had to overcome while trying to succeed.” – Booker T. Washington
11. What is your focus this year?
Sales. I’m hiring a ton more people so now it’s not just about me. Now, more than ever, I need to succeed for others, and I like that. 🙂
12. What is your 3/5 year focus?
Put out as much content online about the sport of sledge hockey as possible while helping others through my positivity, words, and public speaking.
13. What is your multi generational focus?
14. Who is one of the people that made an impact on your life?
David Izer – A friend in Atlanta, Georgia. When my dad was injured, David stepped in and became like a father figure to me.
15. What are you thankful for?
People who around me support me. From personal relationships to online engagement. I try and respond to everyone, always, as much as I can to show my gratitude.
16. If a dysfunctional home/past has three legs holding up a table (which is unstable). What leg(s) would you add to make your life stronger?
Absolutely anything that would hold that broken home up! Living with a disability – you learn to make that shit work! I love walking with a limp from my back injury. It sucks… sure, but I’m not embarrassed about my disability. Rock what you have. Fix the table, home, your life with whatever you’ve got and keep on going!
17. What is your favourite memory of this year?
Cracking $100,000 in revenue in my own entrepreneurial business… that was a dream come true.
18. Think 3/5 years from now, what is your hell if you don’t take action or self sabotage?
I have no hell in sight. Everything is on the way up. Even if it’s shit, until I’m dead (literally), life is still good. It’s all about perspective.
19. What do you need to have LESS of in your life?
Nothing. All I want is MORE.
20. What rule should we be breaking?
Remember that it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission. Stop waiting for permission to do everything… just go out there and DO IT!
21 . What’s the one thing you want to do before you die?
Get married and have a child.
22. If i am just starting out to transform my life, what one week practice would you recommend?
Practice gratitude daily with the 5 Minute Journal.
23. Who would you recommend be showcased on THRIVEMASTERS?
Tim McClure, a former VP at Starter back in it’s hey day.
24. How can people connect with you and or is there a project you want to share?
@KevinRempel on Instagram will do the trick!
Check out Kevin’s book STILL STANDING https://www.amazon.ca/Still-Standing-Every-Reason-Going/dp/0994928904