Matt Beaudreau is the host of the ESENTIAL 11 PODCAST.
Founder/CEO of Acton Academy Placer (www.actonplacer.com),
Founder of The Art of High Impact Homeschooling and a Keynote Speaker with The Center for Generational Kinetics.
1. What does thriving mean to you?
At its simplest form, thriving is peace of mind. Someone can be busier than ten men or have nothing on their plate, but if they don’t have the ability to calm their mind, they are not thriving. Calming the mind only comes when you have truly beaten the need or desire to listen to anyone’s opinions of yourself, and forego fearful living.
2. What’s the one domino that moves you toward thriving?
Experience. The more I take on and do, the more self-awareness I gain.
3. What was or is your favourite way to sabotage yourself?
The “was” had to do with material possessions, or recognition by others. Now that those are gone, I feel like I am dangerously effective.
4. How do you deal with challenging times?
Challenges are growth opportunities if you are willing to take them on. Then, the next time you face a challenging time (and you will) you will have a cookie jar of experiences in your mind to reach back into and realize that you are able to overcome.
5. What was an embarrassing / painful moment you can share?
So many. The most painful time that comes to mind, though, is ANY time I feel like I didn’t live up to my potential as a husband or father. There have been many mistakes in those arenas. None are drastic, by all means, but they are the failures I have a harder time letting go of.
6. What did you learn recently?
I learned that almost every human has an element of his/her life whereas he or she lives by fear.
7. Divide your age by half , who were you then?
Wow. I was fearful. I was trying to impress others. I was concerned about who others thought I was more than concerned about finding out who I was.
8. Think back 5-10 years, what moved the needle in your success?
Having children was the most powerful change agent in my life. They moved the needle forward on my work ethic like nothing else.
9. What resources would you recommend?
The Essential 11 podcast. Yup- that’s mine. In all seriousness, though, it’s advice from people much smarter than I am.
10. What is your favourite quote or motto?
“I never saw a Wild Thing sorry for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead from a bow without ever having felt sorry for itself”. DH Lawrence
11. What are your top VALUES?
Discipline, Work Ethic, Kindness, Physical Aptitude, Growth Mindset
12. What is your focus over the next 12 months?
We are ramping up the podcast sponsorships, and adding a second campus for the school I founded.
13. You write a book for your grandkids / next generation, what principles do you want to pass on?
Exactly what I wrote in the values section. If they can embody those while eliminating the need to impress others, they will be just fine.
14. You start a podcast, who is your first guest? If you have a podcast who would you love to have on?
The Essential 11 has some amazing guests lined up. The one that I don’t (yet) have lined up that I’d love to have is Jocko Wilink.
15. What are you thankful for?
My wife and children are quite literally the greatest joys of my life.
16. If someone grew up in a dysfunctional home what advice would you give them going forward?
I did, so I related. Greatest advice? Don’t be the victim. Use that upbringing as fuel to design the life you do want, by avoiding the things you experienced that you wish you hadn’t.
17. What is your favourite memory of the last 12 months?
My daughters saved their money to purchase ponies, and I was blessed to provide them with a home where those ponies could be.
18. Do you have a favourite joke or a funny moment?
Anything by Chris D’Elia makes me laugh my ass off.
19. What do you need to have LESS of in your life?
Tasks. I need to stay the visionary of the organization and have less day to day tasks to handle.
20. What rule should we be breaking?
Talking about college in a positive light. It’s a trap for 99% of our kids, and we need to shift the entire conversation in our culture.
21 . What’s the one thing you want to do before you die?
Quite honestly, I may have done everything on my list. If I was to add another, I’d say I want to disappear into obscurity while leaving behind a massive, culture changing legacy.
22. How would one shift from surviving to thriving?
It doesnt have to be 12 steps or in order
Stop. Being. Afraid.
23. Who is the PERSON you would love to acknowledge by nominating them to be showcased @ THRIVEMASTERS?
24. How can people connect with you?
The Essential 11 podcast, or at Matt Beaudreau on IG or FB