OLIVER MANALESE runs a leadership consultancy. He is an expert in coaching, consulting, and training achievement-oriented leaders in Aligned Reinvention. The most common remark from clients is, “I am living a life I once thought was impossible!”
1. What does thriving mean to you? Self-harmony.
2. What’s the one domino that moves you toward thriving? Integrity. Without it nothing works.
3. What was or is your favourite way to sabotage yourself?
Perfectionist overthinking that leads to paralysis.
4. What gets you back on track?
Time travelling into the future and embodying the costs of my life descending into hell.
5. What question should we ask ourselves?
What is my relationship with my Self?
6. What did you learn recently?
It’s how we show up and do all the tiny little things over and over that make up our life.
7. Divide your age by half , who were you then?
16 1/2 years old. Self-absorbed. Rehearsing and practicing to be a lead in the school play. Going out with friends all the time. Trying to look cool. Greasy long hair. Singing to impress girls. Always going after girls who didn’t like me.
8. What was one of your aha/breakthrough moments?
Months after vaporizing who I thought I was and hitting rock bottom I began to reinvent my whole life. I was in Ireland gazing at the sun setting over a lake where my entire body was awash with waves of light and I finally felt at home in my own skin. I was for the first time thankful for the choices, the failures, and the hell I went through to get here. I became clear that I am not my circumstances and that there was nothing I couldn’t overcome.
9. Whats the one resource you would recommend?
The Well-Being Checklist.
10. What is your favourite quote?
“This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. “I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. “I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no “brief candle” to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.” – George Bernard Shaw
11. What is your focus this year?
Writing my first book!
12. What is your 3/5 year focus?
Get married. Live abroad. Work part-time hours and make full-time income. Make babies!
13. What do you want to be known for, generations to come?
Empowering others to achieve self-harmony.
14. Who is one of the people that made an impact on your life?
15. What are you thankful for?
My Queen, my family, my friends.
16. If a dysfunctional home/past has three legs holding up a table (which is unstable). What leg(s) would you add to make your life stronger?
Healing and recovery work.
17. What is your favourite memory of this year?
Officiating a wedding!
18. Think 3/5 years from now, what is your hell if you don’t take action or self sabotage?
Fat, mediocre, mundane, settling, surviving, unstable, lethargic, lazy, disconnected, a fraud, can’t even look at myself in the mirror, letting people down, not taking responsibility, messes everywhere, ungrateful, seflish, small, isolated, alone.
19. What do you need to have LESS of in your life?
20. What rule should we be breaking?
What we believe is possible for ourselves.
21 . What’s the one thing you want to do before you die?
One year of world travel.
22. If i am just starting out to transform my life, what one week practice would you recommend?
A solo-date. No phone, no book, no friends. Discover the nature of your relationship with yourself and begin to reinvent it.
23. Who do you recommend be showcased on THRIVEMASTERS?
24. How can people connect with you? A project you want to share? A cause/organization you support?
The Oliver Manalese Show on Apple Podcasts at www.olivermanalese.com/show